Friday, November 6, 2015

Go Canadiens!

Quebec's Reserve Fauniques are like our national forests as far as access and activities, almost as beautiful as national parks, but you can hunt in them! Of course, there's a permitting process which involves a daily fee, but I don't mind that so much as it provides an opportunity to meet folks at the office, get some maps and intel, maybe tell Kali's story to another amazed person.
Except that the main office and park office were closed for the season! Which season I'm not sure because it was hunting season. It's remote location made finding even a computer where we could print passes online perhaps a two hours effort.
Stopped at the only store in Louvicourt and went in hoping someone at least spoke English. The young guy behind the counter did "leetle bit" and I was able to convey our dilemma with my petit Francais.
This amazingly nice guy took me upstairs to his home (I took my boots off because he took his shoes off )and let me use his laptop and printer at his kitchen table to purchase and print our passes. I loved on his dog and cat while we waited on the printer, noticed he had new baby stuff so we compared notes on fatherhood. Also talked some hockey - he's a big Montreal Canadiens fan.
Went back down to his store and against his protests bought some of his Canadiens gear as a form of thank you and in short order we were back at the forest hunting.
Kali scored a spruce grouse and then we stopped at a scenic spot, broke out the road kitchen and had a fabulous grouse and orzo lunch.


Thanks for the grouse rub Burf! And yes, the wood was too wet from a week of rain for a Real fire. 

Kali points grouse live and dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment