Thursday, November 12, 2015

Bulldozing

As if to add the point to the exclamation, when we stopped into the Clear Springs Hardware Store (just because it looked cool), the two older gentlemen that worked there were more puzzled than amazed when Emil told them what Kali had just accomplished.  They also tried hard to sell us the store.  And it's mighty tempting given its small-town locale, creaky floors, paper invoicing and filing, and got-all-you-need-and-nothing-you-don't stock.  They had to step out on the sidewalk after we left to see if'n we weren't just fibbing about dogs and Christmas trees...
Caught you looking...
Stopped for lunch at the Jubilee Diner in Friendsville, MD and after a nice warm sandwich had my first-ever (and potentially last) donut sundae...



We stopped outside Lexington, KY for the night and secured a T-bone for Kali. Also, quite by coincidence, discovered West Sixth Street Brewery of Lexington's might tasty amber ale.  Several times...
Birds?  Bacon?  Beef?  It's a toss-up.  Suppose there's a time and place
for everything to be a favorite.
 
Emil, Burf! and other wingmen can attest to the determination and stamina I can exhibit when the rig is pointed for home.  Needed to get back to the Center of the Universe to see my girls and resume life.  Guess I'm not one to dwell much on past achievements, especially when I'm still planning on so much future.
 
Spent a few miles in self-reflection on whether I'm presumptuous about establishing goals.  I think I've just developed so much confidence in pre-trip research and preparation, coupled with the willingness to follow the mojo, to adjust and overcome, that while the end result is not certain, I've spent so much time and effort visualizing and anticipating the outcome, I approach the challenge with a high level of confidence.  There are always unexpected events (tire replacement in MI, failed brake cylinder in NJ, etc etc), but they usually just lead to new and fun adventures.
 
There were actually many miles to ponder such things as we kept the hammer down and made 1,209 miles on Tuesday and everyone got home safely!
Traveling is great fun, but there's no place like home...
And there's little to complain about at the CotU.  Was home in time to attend the Veteran's Day ceremony at KCHS with the girls...
As testimony to how fortunate I am, indulge me one more story from yesterday.

While standing at attention in prep for the National Anthem and Pledge of Allegiance at the ceremony, I was approached by a young woman carrying a bouquet of red roses.  She asked if I could place them at the flagpole for her just as the Mighty Badger Band struck up the first notes of the Star Spangled Banner.  I asked her to wait just a second while I saluted and when the Pledge ended she told me her grandfather was KIA in WWII and her husband in AFG, so the flowers were in their memory.
I came to attention, saluted her and told her it would be my honor.  As the band played Taps and the Karnes County Honor Guard fired their 21-gun salute, I posted to the flagpole, laid the flowers at the base, stepped back and saluted with tears in my eyes.  I returned to my position of attention behind the Honor Guard until the ceremony ended, but when I found her afterwards, she smiled, thanked me and was gone before I could get her name or those of her fallen family members.
I'm just an old guy wearing the uniform in service to his state, but I can't imagine doing so for a more honorable purpose.  God Bless America and that woman and the sacrifices her family has endured.

Thanks for following along on our adventure.  Already getting asked what's next.  It's a banner quail year in SouTex, so Kali should get plenty of feathers in her mouth this season.  Then, there's two girls to get through high school and on to college...

I'm sure we'll think of something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment