Thursday, November 8, 2012

Big Birds

If the best things in life are free, then the South Dakota Air & Space Museum has to be at the top of the list.  I admit, I'm a bit of a military history geek and avid supporter of the armed forces, their personnel and the sacrifices they make.  And who doesn't like jets?
The museum located at the entrance to Ellsworth AFB outside Rapid City, SD is a must-see for anyone passing through.  Frankly, I think it made a bigger impression on us than Rushmore in a number of ways!
The museum focuses on aviation history, and there's some pretty somber displays to consider ... the Berlin air lift, the Cold War, and the NVA POW exhibit for an aviator shot down during the Vietnam war.  I feel terrible because I lost the paper that had this young lieutenant's name, but he lays out his four-year story of being shot down, hiding in the jungle, being captured and transported to the Hanoi Hilton, and the ceaseless torture he and others endured.  Grim as the story was, one just can't stop reading the account, out of, I don't know ... respect, amazement, guilt...  Soph was drawn in and pretty quiet while she processed it all...


Then of course the aircraft on exhibit outside ... many from the 28th Bomb group based at Ellsworth over the years...

 
 For reference, B-52 tires are as tall as me...

Just absolutely love the name - Minute Man!
 
 As I said, a must-see, and please leave them a generous donation - really fine folks working there and an amazing display!

No comments:

Post a Comment