Friday, December 6, 2013

Winchester

I've continually professed the merits of going with the Mojo, but I bet there are still some doubters out there, unwilling to spread their travel wings and leap without a PLAN.
For the past two weeks I've had a minor, yet apparently very challenging, goal of purchasing a mid-weight jacket from a clothing store on a town square. Kinda like People's in Kenedy used to be.
Check the map and lo and behold, Winchester is just an hour or so away. How cool would it be to say I found my coat in Winchester?!
Beautiful town square adorned with Christmas decor and monuments to veterans. And on a building on the northeast corner of the square was a sign. ..


Well, okay then. Three blocks to heaven on earth. Mrs. Wicks started making pies in 1944, selling 20 fruit pies a day. How good are they? Today they make 12,000 a day and ship to over 30 states.
But the best part is they still taste homemade!
We tried FOUR for breakfast, sugar cream, the Indiana State pie (Hoosier pie), black raspberry, cherry berry, and the only pie to ever earn a 5-star rating from me - cherry almond!
Tangy enough to twitch your jaw but sweet, with toasted almonds on the crumble, and a perfectly browned and flaky crust.


We head back to the square and meet Tom Batt at the Country Gentleman, an honest to God menswear store. Only took 5 minutes to find the perfect jacket, but we spent nearly an hour visiting. Tom's a traveler, business man, philosopher, reader, community minded, family oriented all around great guy. I encourage you to look up his shop or call him for some Christmas shopping. I'm afraid icons like the Country Gentleman and People's, once anchors of small town commerce will soon be memories and that's a dern shame. Glad Marina got to experience that and the Mojo took us there.


Still don't believe in Mojo? Give up on Santa too?

All I can say to that is I got my jacket from Winchester!

1 comment: