Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Wrapping up

When we got in the truck after Chickamauga, I took the map off the dash board, looked at Marina and asked "what's next?"  She took a deep breath, gave a long sigh, and said "I'm tired."

Frankly, I was too, but we still had a couple of days "scheduled" to be on the trip.  But there's no point in forcing the issue, especially if you know that if your Dad is within 1,000 miles of home, he can get there with 4 coffee breaks, 2 fuel stops, and one pee stop ... so we punted.

But as we were leaving there was one sign that caught my attention and we had to pull over - couldn't get a factory tour, but loved the factory store and will definitely be back to visit one day.
Just find it humorous that the cast iron mecca is located in South Pittsburg, AL!
So we took the Tuscaloosa to Helena express and slept in our own beds the next night.

It's impossible to condense an epic adventure like this into a few words at the end of a blog, even with several days of consideration.  I suspect Marina will spend the rest of her life gleaning little sniglets of history, fun, and memories.  So many times she was reminded how fortunate she was to have this opportunity, but I don't think that really sinks in until later - like when you have to sit in a classroom in January, for instance!

I know we grew closer and got to know each other much better, which sounds like a funny thing for a Dad to say, but how often in today's hustle-bustle do we have two months dedicated to a single child?

I know I don't feel like driving anywhere for a while.  We logged 17,495.5 miles on this adventure (drove Daphne's new truck clean out of warranty) and Marina has now been to 47 states!

I know I've really enjoyed just crawling into my own bed without unloading suitcases and looking for a restaurant.

And I know that I need to finish this up so we can get started on our Santa cookies, gingerbread houses, and Vigil Mass. Thanks for following along with us.  Thanks for the encouraging words and texts along the way.  Happy for the new friends we met along the road.  And the new pies and beers we discovered as well.

Been there, done that - what's next?

Merry Christmas to you and yours!!!

I'll be touring America 12 oz. at a time for the foreseeable future!

No comments:

Post a Comment