Sunday, June 22, 2014

Bundoran links

Our funky cool old hotel was adjacent to the pro shop and the 9th green was right outside the girls' window so I was antsy to play the next morning. They said I could be first off as a single at 0815. I said that the sunrise was 0459 and would they mind if I teed up then?
Complete silence and stunned gazes. Nobody ever does that but sure and just pay when you are done.
Barely slept that night thinking about the links style course along Donegal Bay with knee deep rough, blind shots over hills and numerous bunkers. Convinced Daphne it would be great exercise and when I put my first tee shot middle of the fairway right of the bunkers at 0620 there wasn't a person or car visible on the course, around the hotel, or even in town.

The greens keepers didn't arrive until 0715 while I was on the 5th tee. Saw another couple tee up when we made the turn. 


Photos can't do justice to the hills you have to climb on the 7th and 10th as you play towards the beach. Both drives found the middle of each fairway, but your drive just slams into the wall and dies! Great stuff! 

Great views along the beach. The sign in the back shows the middle of the green which can't be seen from the fairway because of the big swale in front. 
Into the rough on the 2nd and with Daphne's help found the ball but took THREE shots to hack my way out! 
Greens were hard as granite table tops but fuzzy and slow so was happy to play bogey golf the last six holes, but can't say I really figured out the course. Maybe next time. Proud that I didn't lose a single ball!
Walked off 18th in to breakfast at 0915!

No comments:

Post a Comment