Thursday, June 19, 2014

Pub logic

The Brazen Head is in all of the Dublin brochures as the oldest pub in Ireland so we went there. Not a lick of Irish did we hear until our cousins arrived so the tourism angle got folks into the 1198 A.D. place.
But I tend to agree with the locals I met at Marcie Regan's on the Boyne in Trim who professed loudly and proudly in accents I could scarce understand that they were officially licensed as a PUB in 1204 whilst the lot down in Dublin were an Inn and stable that served beer and not a pub until much later.
All's I could say to that was Cheers! And here's to 810 more years!


The ceilings sagged from about 6'6 to 5'11 in some places. The local micro brew is pretty tasty stuff called Bru after the infamous early Irish king. I had the Rua or red ale. Watched Belgium beat Algeria and discussed ExxonMobil, Texas weather, and current events after settling the oldest pub issue. They even had me join them for bangers on the BBQ out back.
Great stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment