Monday, June 20, 2022

Fish Partners Iceland

Before we move on to the fishing part of our program, just a comment about Reykjavik on a Saturday night during its Independence Celebration. When I walked out of my hotel at 05:00 to have a coffee because I woke up early, excited to start fishing, the sidewalks were packed with drunk revelers, on the way to breakfast, home, wherever…and the restaurants were happy to serve them. When I walked back out at 07:00 to look for breakfast, all the restaurants were closed and the sidewalks empty, except for the “sidewalk sweepers” picking up all the trash, broken bottles, etc left behind, presumably before the tourists could see it…


Found some toast & coffee, then Tom and Nonni, or guide the next week picked me up and we headed towards to Highlands to Lake Pingvallavatn. The weather was mid-40s with wind and rain, and in our rush we didn’t layer up as well as we should, but we fished for six hours from the shoreline with nymphs and I was fortunate to catch my personal best 22” brown trout (silver phase with blue cheeks from the deep clear water) despite the conditions…





Also hooked one so big it broke my hook!


Tom was fortunate to also catch a personal best brown, 26” long by 14” girth!
Not sure why he’s not smiling…
Pretty cold in Iceland!

Cold but happy we headed for the lodge on the Tungnaà River and enjoy great food and conversation with the other guests and guides. 
Wind and rain put us to sleep with pretty much full daylight…



No comments:

Post a Comment